Sunday, April 26, 2009

Getting Cheap and Creative






I am a big advocate of goals and making plans for your life. I truly understand that challenges come along and plans and goals have to be readjusted. It's just a normal part of life. It happens to everyone. Although it is a pain, opportunities to learn come too. It has been months since Shawn was laid off and I am proud to report, we are still totally fine! We aren't planning a big trip to Hawaii or anything, that may be a couple of years. The truth is, we are having lots of fun still and are hopeful. There are moments we are down and feel crummy. We have tried to use that energy to find solutions rather than wallow.

Creative solutions are key. I have a lot to learn still but here are a few things I've learned...
  • Walmart has iron on patches in different colors. When patched from the inside, jeans look pretty cool.
  • Allowance saves the day! We have made an agreement with the kids. If they clean their rooms and feed the animals they earn a couple of bucks a week. I automatically enter the money in Excel in the "Bank of Mom." The kids withdraw money from a pencil box for candy, the book fair, toys, movies... I then withdraw the money from the "bank" in Excel. The kids don't go without things I might say no to and the kids learn to choose wisely because it is their money.
  • Marketable skills = food on the table. Learn a variety of marketable and useful skills. This has saved us. We are currently adding to our skills. I am taking an class to learn about online marketing this week. Shawn is in a 10 week course for ESRI arcgis certification. He is also finishing up his MCSE certification.
  • It is great to have a trailer or motorhome. In case of a fire or if we want to rent our house out- we can at least have a roof.
  • How can you afford a pedicure? Well, it just looks like I went to the spa. I got fancy nail stickers at the drug store and I put them on my toes after I painted them. Then I did a top clear coat. I learned that from Shannon.
  • Library- Movies and books can be requested online from the local library. You receive an e-mail when they arrive and you pick them up at the local branch. Brand new movies take awhile because so many people request them. You can request a lot of items so you'll get something. Ask your librarian for a login ID.
  • Less is more. Less junk around the house looks good, even stylish. I don't even go into stores unless I need something otherwise I'll probably buy stuff. I don't need to spend the money and I don't need the junk.
  • Bean and cheese burritos with enchilada sauce are delish. Kate gave me a great recipe. We eat it almost every week. It is so inexpensive and it the kids' favorite.
  • Sell extra junk on craigslist. If you post it cash will come.
  • Geocaching is fun and free, except for the gas you spend driving around.
  • A garden and fruit trees are must haves. I can give gifts from my garden and feed my family. We are thinking of seriously expanding the garden beds.
  • Not having credit card debt is liberating, the stuff isn't worth it. Now if the car breaks down, that's another story.
  • Best friends call when they see a sale on stuff you buy. I love it when friends tell me about good deals!
  • The best dates are the cheap ones. Shawn and I just rode our bikes 13 miles from Carlsbad to Encinitas. Then we got carne asada burritos and watched the sun go down on a bench at the beach. It was fabulous!
What are your best tips?

4 comments:

Jillian said...

"Forget" your wallet when you go out to restaurants with your siblings.

It only works a few times, but until they wise up.....Well, you know what they say about fools and their money. ;)

Anonymous said...

Food is expensive where we live so I freeze and bottle a lot of food from the garden. I buy canned food by the case when available and plan my meals by what is on sale. I also make bread. It is about $4.00 a loaf here and I make it for about $.35. I'll email the recipe soon!

Laurel said...

I like your tips!

Lori Ellsworth said...

I love the tips. You are so positive and inspiring! I too make bread. The kids prefer it and it's tastier, probably healthier and like Annie said, it's cheap!